Prepping Your Home for Vacation
The kids are almost out of school and its time to plan for that family getaway. Whether it’s a trip to grandma’s house for a week, or a month-long jaunt abroad, there are several things you can do to prep your home for your absence.
Use this checklist below to ensure a worry free vacation.
- The fridge: We certainly don’t want a mouldy surprise when we return so make sure to throw away any foods that will expire while you’re gone. It wouldn’t hurt to do a little quick clean either. Wipe away any spills and any residue and a box of Arm & Hammer tucked in the back will keep things smelling fresh.
- The laundry: Wash and put away laundry before you leave because you KNOW you will have loads to do upon your return. The last thing you want to do is stress out the moment you arrive home.
- The pets: Are you boarding Fido? Is the pet sitter coming in daily to feed Fluffy? Either way, you need to prep detailed instructions for those in care of your furry friends. Make sure foods, toys, treats and medicines are well stocked and available.
- The plants: Many of us have a heard enough time keeping houseplants alive when we’re home, never mind while away so hopefully a friend or neighbour has better results. Same as with pets, leave detailed watering instructions and hope for success.
- Light it up: If the trip is a short one, leaving a few lamps on throughout the house can make it look occupied. For a longer vacation, you can invest in automatic timers that can turn your lights on and off at random intervals (but these are expensive), so if possible, have a trusted neighbour keep an eye out and randomly turn on a few lights.
- Heating & cooling: No need to run the A/C or furnace too much while you’re away, so make adjustments to the thermostat to save energy. Unplug and unnecessary as well.
- The mail: Nothing shows would-be thieves that a home is empty like mail and newspapers piling up on the doorstep. Call the post office and news carrier to put a hold on delivery while you’re away.
- Tidy up: Do a quick clean before you leave so you’re not overwhelmed when you come home. There’s nothing like coming home to fresh sheets and a clean house.
Have a great vacation!
If you’re interested in learning about buying or selling your home, let Vancouver’s top selling real estate professionals be your guide. Click here to access our selling process. Of course, we’re always available for a call or a coffee to chat further about how we can help you sell your home!!!